Search This Blog

Monday 23 January 2012

Blog 68: Versions of the Truth (Version 16)

There are plenty of conspiracy theories about. Ideas about how power really works and who holds it behind the curtains. They don’t know so they have to guess. They get so close sometimes and at others they are hilariously wrong. They don’t have the perspective to see the world as it is. They are ants trying to appreciate the world as an eagle above might see it. There too many obstructions, too much just out of sight. They could never appreciate the scale of the truth. I find it hard to fathom myself, and its my job to keep track of this stuff. It is my job to keep humanity in check.
The year is 2011, most of the world think that they know how far technology has advanced. They have no idea, they can’t see the hold it has over them or comprehend the ways it could change their life.
My organisation owns equipment that far exceeds the current perception of development because the technology is not of this time. Nor am I, I am here to maintain the Consequence Prophet and act upon its predictions. The Consequence Prophet determines the outcome of an action by displaying news articles that can be traced forwards or backwards through time. It’s like I have a free subscription and access to every edition at once. By these means patterns can be traced and the consequences of an action reasoned.
It’s use is governed by strict rules which I have bent to my will which should by some theories be impossible whereas in reality actions in time have multiple ripples, many consequences. For those familiar with the multiverse idea consider an entirely separate universe fore every choice made. These choices give birth to endless possibilities and can be back tracked to follow new paths towards unknown horizons. I hail from one reality of the future but can generate others based on my actions and have, using the Consequence Prophet to produce the best possible future for myself.
The C.P is supposed to be used to maintain the likelihood of the foundation of my birthplace Keres Karma. The city is supposedly a utopia. What a joke. The place is full of drugged up zombies who work specifically for the sponsored addictive substance that is at once a poison and cure. It is circular vitality and death, strength and weakness. We are told this stuff is the source of our strength and the greatness of our nation but in truth it is the leash that binds us to our leaders. Without it death comes quickly to the deserters.
A new reign of chains began when the scientists created that elixir of life and death. We are property of the state, we have a best by date numbered in days until the next dose which we should take as a given. We should work without questioning the reign of these men who would kill all those who do not work for them. What of the deaths when doses are short? Do they take these into consideration when they call Keres Karma a utopia? Slaves of the system smile and forget that there were days when a person would die of starvation or lack of water before they died through lack of Nectyr. It changes us, we are stronger physically and have a more reliable neural design but with these advances came the snare. The irreversible change requires daily doses of the Nectyr to prevent heart failure. Without it we can no longer harness the oxygen that flows in the blood; Starved of air we shrivel and die, proof the system must be followed to the letter.
This national addiction keeps the population in check, working hard to earn their daily dose from the masters of our fate. I will deprive those masters of their empire, Keres Karma will never rise from the grave of the old world. No more will die with the permission of the state, euthanasia will never again be as easily wielded against the population who can be selectively starved of their medicine. By this means all who question the reign of government are put down silently. Conscience has cruel consequence in my day which will never be again. I will die as the flow of Nectyr drips dry knowing I have saved endless ignorants from the cruel lies of the empire of addicts. New dictatorships may rise in its place but there will never be such a travesty of truth as a known result of my actions in the consequential multiverses.
Who knows what direction the world will take from here. My misguided colleagues will die with me ending all opportunities for them to manipulate the timeline. I might have time to destroy the equipment before heart failure. If not then it will be found by the people of this time or their children. Who knows what they would do with it, they might undo my work or bring about a future more terrible than mine.
Maybe I should give the Consequence Prophet to someone I know would use it for good but how could I be sure? Power corrupts is presumably a saying for a reason. People do what is best for them whether or not it benefits society in general. This is by no means any indication of mass collusion within governing factions simply the proof that we are subject to greed and selfishness.
Maybe I will bequeath the tool of tyrants to a wide eyed child, still hopeful and innocent. Could I hope to teach a child the use of the Consequence Prophet before they themselves gave into the self-serving whims of an adult? I doubt it, the device must be lost to time like the city of Atlantis beneath the waves of Poseidon’s fury.
No more will man dabble with fate, never again will we rule the far future with the smallest action. Mystery, banished by our predictive tool, will return to the world.
We must live in the moment for happiness, consequence not forgotten but unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment