Search This Blog

Monday 23 January 2012

Blog 59: Versions of the Truth (Version 07)

There are plenty of conspiracy theories about. Ideas about how power really works and who holds it behind the curtains. They don’t know so they have to guess. They get so close sometimes and at others they are hilariously wrong. They don’t have the perspective to see the world as it is. They are ants trying to appreciate the world as an eagle above might see it. There too many obstructions, too much just out of sight. They could never appreciate the scale of the truth. I find it hard to fathom myself, and its my job to keep track of this stuff. It is my job to keep humanity in check.
The year is 1120 and it seems that many of the ideas we have taken for granted are finally spreading across the borders. The publication of Liber Abaci by Leonardo Pisa has certainly had an effect on the mathematical theory at large. Shame, exclusive knowledge of such kept us ahead of the curve. As important as what we know are the things that no one else does. With each secret there is a power for the bearer. We hold many secrets and much power. It must not be known, nor can we be known for anonymity is our greatest strength.
In these times a magician can be made by his mechanics. The consequences of an idea beyond general comprehension is deemed magic by the masses. They fear and fixate over the power wielded by our servants. We create their celebrity and in return they reinforce our grip upon the reigns of power. We give them creations of guile beyond their understanding to make them gods before their followers at the price of their contribution to individual freedom. We chose who lives and who dies. This applies equally to followers who must know their place in the scheme of the world. There are plans for humanity, our followers know this. Their followers do not.
I have a power over the followers which I find regrettable; I am nothing greater than these followers. I am a leach with power feeding from these worshiped slaves. I will free them, preparations have been made. I will stand back no longer as followers die endlessly testing our contraptions. I have seen chains tear followers apart that were meant to hold them aloft in the impression of flight. There was no glory in their eyes during those short moments of screaming. That image will haunt me forevermore.
I work alone to secure the freedom of our slaves. I cannot trust any of my own to help me destroy that which gave them all of the cruel power they have. It will take time but I am building the necessities of an army fit to take on my conspirators. Armour augmented with the technology we developed to dazzle the crowds will cut through the liars as they flee their slaves. I will empower my followers when I am ready to reveal myself. I will be patient, turning those of the faith to a new cause. I will reveal the web of lies they have been trapped in too long and give them the means to slay the spider who feeds upon them.
The conspirators have access to their own army of assassins who may be bought out or paid to look the other way while I slaughter their slippery patrons. I doubt it, they will see that they make best profit working in the current system. I may have to set my sights on them before my masters but I have time enough.
I’m glad now that I designed so many of my temples personally. In the caverns below I store the weapons that will free the followers when they know how to use them. My initial revelation must be gradual I have a lifetime of religious dogma to correct if I push them before they have realised the truth they will demolish the foundations I have worked so long to build. Some who doubt will soon be told of my intentions, I hope that my honesty shines through and they do not see me as a heretic to be put to justice. I must ensure they work with the same secrecy and patience to avoid discovery.
I have no doubt that the ramifications of my actions will be extreme and far reaching. The religion will implode and with it the faith that it has built through decades of lies. Without faith who knows what the former followers might do. I have to take action though. They must be set free from the lies.
In the wake of the revelation I will leave them free to continue their belief safe from the manipulation of the organisation. Perhaps a new religion will rise to take the place of our own, no matter. It would rest on the conscience of others. My task ends when this tyrannous reign of repression is dismantled. I might live a peaceful life in this city or travel the world and seek the lands where none have bowed to the prophets of the fictional faith.
In the world I might find peace where I can see no signs of the damage caused by my forefathers. I might find a new cause to fight for. These are the possibilities among which rests the chance that my conspirators know of my treachery and are already setting in motion the means of my demise.
I will pray to no god for safety but hope that justice itself proves a force of reckoning in this universe and aids me in my task. It may be left to chance but it is a chance my conscience demands I take.

No comments:

Post a Comment