Search This Blog

Monday 23 January 2012

Blog 66: Versions of the Truth (Version 14)

There are plenty of conspiracy theories about. Ideas about how power really works and who holds it behind the curtains. They don’t know so they have to guess. They get so close sometimes and at others they are hilariously wrong. They don’t have the perspective to see the world as it is. They are ants trying to appreciate the world as an eagle above might see it. There too many obstructions, too much just out of sight. They could never appreciate the scale of the truth. I find it hard to fathom myself, and its my job to keep track of this stuff. It is my job to keep humanity in check.
The year is 2011, most of the world think that they know how far technology has advanced. They have no idea, they can’t see the hold it has over them or comprehend the ways it could change their life.
My organisation owns equipment that far exceeds the current perception of development because the technology is not of this time. Nor am I, I am here to maintain the Consequence Prophet and act upon its predictions. The Consequence Prophet determines the outcome of an action by displaying news articles that can be traced forwards or backwards through time. It’s like I have a free subscription and access to every edition at once. By these means patterns can be traced and the consequences of an action reasoned.
It’s use is governed by strict rules which I generally ignore. The rules were written by people who will die years from now, decades before I’m born. Why would I listen to them? I only listen to my music. I’m not a musician though, unless you call the Consequence Prophet an instrument. I’m an architect of fate; I change the lives of people I might never meet to create new movements of sound. I have seventeen different iterations of the debut album by my favourite band Benzaiten . Their name came from my own moniker which itself was taken from the Japanese goddess of the same name who’s role in mythology was the control of that which flows including water, speech and as consequence wisdom. She became one of the Seven Lucky Gods and was favoured for bringing wealth but more importantly for myself music. I bring together different musicians to create new combinations of sound. I have a developing formula for creating music. It’s amazing how much I can toy with the lives of these ignorant creatures. I can alter the mood of the music by bringing sorrow or joy to their lives. They are mine, the only band I will ever need. The infinite possibilities of their music give me the chance to create, by manipulation, the greatest musical collective ever known. They would hate me for all I have done to them, but I will continue to create works of wonder and to manipulate my puppets. They have me to thank for all they will ever be. Their greatness stems from my perseverance and ingenious curiosity.
As a side project I’ve been trying to manipulate the planning officials involved with the permissions for a new town nearby my current home in Cairo. I hope that I can create a city that resembles my signature from the air above. So far I have the B and the E. The N might be an issue but I enjoy manipulating the locals so that’s fine. To get the B I had to get some kids to burn down a market occupying the space. It was worth it though, screw humanity I have my vanity to placate. I might go for the complete Benzaiten or just leave it at Ben, my given name is Benjamin after all. If I find myself bored later who knows what I might do, astronauts might one day read from space: ‘This planet was brought to you via the manipulation of Benzaiten.’ That would probably require more time and patience than I believe I possess.
My actions should attract the attention of my co workers but the reality of the situation is that if you do this job properly you don’t have the time to worry about anything else. I have plenty of time for trivialities. I do on occasion have to work though, the aim of my profession is to ensure the formation of the city state by which came the technology to bring me here. So far I’d say my trivial pursuits have done nothing the make the foundation of Keres Karma less likely. If anything the likelihood of the near utopian state’s foundation may have been increased by my meddling. How could Keres Karma’s great founder fail to be inspired by Benzaiten’s music?
Perhaps I should mould the band into a great protest’s soundtrack, a political movement in audio. How then could I possibly lessen the likelihood of the utopian future? I could bring the greatest of wordsmiths together with the best backing artists in a group that wound be impossible to ignore. I could start a sonic sensation to invigorate any idle conscience. I could bring about music that would tear abhorrent monsters from their munitions and put them on a path to redemption. I’ve experienced things like that before, been exposed to something that reeks so strongly of injustice that you can’t wait to help clean it up. Too often you just stand wondering; ‘what could I really do?’ The music would inspire not just moral lifestyles but the belief in our significance, that we can really make a different in this massive world of ours.
I could do that, maybe I will but for now I’m happier just messing with the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment