Search This Blog

Monday 23 January 2012

Blog 54: Versions of the Truth (Version 02)

There are plenty of conspiracy theories about. Ideas about how power really works and who holds it behind the curtains. They don’t know so they have to guess. They get so close sometimes and at others they are hilariously wrong. They don’t have the perspective to see the world as it is. They are ants trying to appreciate the world as an eagle above might see it. There too many obstructions, too much just out of sight. They could never appreciate the scale of the truth. I find it hard to fathom myself, and its my job to keep track of this stuff. It is my job to keep humanity in check.
The year is 1120 and it seems that many of the ideas we have taken for granted are finally spreading across the borders. The publication of Liber Abaci by Leonardo Pisa has certainly had an effect on the mathematical theory at large. Shame, exclusive knowledge of such kept us ahead of the curve. As important as what we know are the things that no one else does. With each secret there is a power for the bearer. We hold many secrets and much power. It must not be known, nor can we be known for anonymity is our greatest strength.
In these times a magician can be executed on the same earth where once they were called messiahs. Times have changed, there is no more faith in the gods of old. Monotheism rules from the Papal throne in Rome. The witch hunts spread like fire through the land, burning through the ties that bind society. All faith in companionship is gone as men cast their wives into the fire or drown them in the ducking chair. As terrifying as these times are for many every situation can be manipulated for the benefit of our organisation. In these times of terror and tribunal we can dispose of all who stand in our way without lifting much more than a finger to accuse them. A politician who’s policies compromise our interests can be removed by the mob in a cycle that repeats itself until we are satisfied by the leadership of the moment.
The organisation’s means of procuring wealth and power are to say the least underhanded. Any means of acquisition are sanctioned as is any use of power that does not risk the secrecy or influence of the organisation. I do not approve of using power beyond the expansion of the organisation. I feel guilt enough each time I sentence prey to death. Their crime is only that they stand in the way of a beast they cannot see. We are monsters of wealth’s creation, men of means by monstrous means and hateful ways. I would trade every coin of my gold for a clear conscience that will never be. I have donated much but not enough to the many families harmed for the sake of the conspiracy. I have built orphanages with the blood money I make. I try but there is nothing I can do that will ever make up for what I have done. Without killing my masters and all of my fellow conspirators I can never undo the evil that feeds upon the world. I do my best, in the circles I come from aggressive ambition is favoured. No one bats an eye if I remove another conspirator to fill their shoes. In time perhaps I can remove this cancer myself. I hope only that its darkness does not infect my heart as I deal out death to the worst of my own.
Would I become a monster as terrible as they, how long can I bear in mind the reasons for endless executions. Time will tell, one day my actions will be laid bare. Some means of mankind will fathom the ties between the deaths I am responsible for. Will I be seen as a hero for slaying the monster that made me or just another serial killer with ambition?
Should I succeed I could write the history books myself. I could write myself in as a hero as so many have in tomes that lack truth as much as they contain it. I know some of the lies told of the past, some of the atrocities their words conceal. History is no stranger to the deadly struggle for power, no stranger to lies. Julius Augustus Caesar was killed by his best friend Brutus who hoped to restore the republic. His actions came to late. He is seen unfairly as the man who betrayed his best friend when Julius Caesar should be known as the man betrayed a republic to create an empire. The redistribution of power put back the growth of a partially democratic system by thousands of years. Brutus should be hailed as a fallen hero. He did not fail the ideal he aspired to, he was betrayed.
The people of this world have been betrayed no less by the conspiracy I seek to destroy. Their power is held in hands stained with the blood of thousands as they perpetuate paranormal paranoia. There are no witches and no warlocks, just victims of cowardly killers who wont light the pyre themselves. I will put an end to the betrayal of mankind. I will be the successful Brutus to the conspiracy’s Caesar and I will suffer a similar fate for the end of the conspiracy. The days of the conspiracy are numbered I will count them on the hands of the dead and let the wrath of their mourners come to call in the last days.

No comments:

Post a Comment